About Me

My photo
I am a HOCKEY fan! * Gardening and Quilting are fun hobbies for me.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

GREAT Wayne Gretzky PART 4


We were staying in the Embassy Suites hotel near Laclède's Landing.
(a multi-block collection of cobblestone streets and vintage brick-and-cast-iron warehouses dating from 1850 through 1900, now converted into shops, restaurants, and bars.)
From the hotel, after a game, we walked down to a corner bar called “Muddy Waters”. It was crowded. As we were standing near the bar enjoying a beer, Don was looking out the window as a limo pulled up outside. Next, he said to me “Look beside you” and as I turned to look, there next to me was Wayne Gretzky with Mark Messier at the bar ordering drinks. As I looked again, next to Gretzky I saw Grant Fuhr and Kevin Lowe. Messier passed the mugs of draft beer to Gretzky and Lowe. Goalie Grant Fuhr being the first star of the game was required to drink whatever the others ordered for him. The drink was called “the BRAIN” with the liquor layered in a way to resemble a brain. The Oilers stayed only a short time to enjoy their drinks. As they left the bar, I reached over and grabbed the mug that Gretzky had drank his beer from and took it with me. What a thrill!

 
Mark Messier

Glen Sather and John Muckler

Jari Kurri and Kevin Lowe

Grant Fuhr
Charlie Huddy















In 1986, St. Louis made it to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Don bought some tickets to see some weekend games. The tickets were mailed in those days.

 
 
The Blues were beat in the 3rd round by the Calgary Flames who met the Montreal Canadiens in the finals who decided to go with a rookie goaltender by the name of Patrick Roy.


The 1986 Stanley Cup Final was contested by the Calgary Flames in their first Final appearance and the Montreal Canadiens in their 32nd. The Canadiens would win the best-of-seven series four games to one, to win their twenty-third Stanley Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment