About Me

My photo
I am a HOCKEY fan! * Gardening and Quilting are fun hobbies for me.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

ZAMBONI & Milestones PART 12

I finally get to ride the Zamboni   11/16/2010

The Texas Stars ended their second year of existence in the first round, losing in six games to the Milwaukee Admirals. The Eastern Conference Champion Binghamton Senators defeated the Western Conference Champion Houston Aeros four games to two to win the Calder Cup, the first one in Binghamton franchise history.



The Texas Stars drew an average of 5,000 fans per game during both seasons.



As we head toward the 3rd season following our Texas Stars, I continue to realize how fortunate we are to have quality hockey only blocks from our home.

While watching our Texas STARS players develop and play at the AHL level, we also have the benefit of watching all the other talented players that pass through our building on their way to the NHL, many playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs.



In April of 2011, I returned to the Topeka Expocentre to see the Topeka Roadrunners of the NAHL play. I enjoyed seeing Mike and Julie Mead, Jason “Bucketman” Simonsen and other dedicated fans from the Scarecrow/Haymaker days. During the CHL Topeka Tarantula and NAHL Roadrunner time, Julie and Mike Mead served as a billet family housing players from the teams. They found this to be a great experience. I met one of the two players living with them at the game I attended. Both had plans for college after this season. It was great to see the enthusiasm of the young players. I was surprised to learn that a great percentage were US born.


In May of 2011, Don and I traveled to Nashville to experience a second round - playoff game # 5 between the Predators and the Vancouver Canucks. I stayed for playoff game # 6 with a win by the Vancouver Canucks sending them to the third round to face the San Jose Sharks.


















Later in May, I traveled to Vancouver for Ann’s graduation from the University of British Columbia. There, Ann and I experienced round 3 playoff game # 5 with Vancouver winning in double overtime to advance the Stanley Cup FINALS beating the San Jose Sharks.

Singing “Oh Canada” with 18,860 fans, seeing Don Cherry and watching the Campbell Bowl (Western Conference) Champion Trophy presented were big hockey milestones for me!

Sharing it with Ann was the BEST!





No comments:

Post a Comment