About Me

My photo
I am a HOCKEY fan! * Gardening and Quilting are fun hobbies for me.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The "Shrine" & Mr. Hockey PART 5

Wayne Gretzky Doll - Oiler Uniform

It was about this time that my sister Patty in Detroit sent me a Wayne Gretzky doll. (THANKS PATTY!)


For the next few years I began to collect Wayne Gretzky memorabilia. 

 
John Groezinger's Basement

I met a guy from St. Louis who also collected Wayne Gretzky memorabilia. His name was John Groezinger. While in St. Louis, we met John at a game and the following day went to his house to see his collection. His whole basement was covered with posters and all things Gretzky. He gave me names of guys from Canada who he had purchased obscure collectable items.







The 1987 Stanley Cup Final was played between the Edmonton Oilers and the Philadelphia Flyers. The Oilers would win the series 4–3, for their third Stanley Cup victory.






In June of 1987, my family traveled to Detroit for my niece Andrea’s high school graduation.




The 1987 NHL Entry Draft was held at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan.






During that trip, on June 13, 1987, at Joe Lewis Arena in Detroit, I saw the NHL draft, saw the Stanley Cup (for the first time) and met Mr. Hockey - Gordie Howe!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment